Saturday, May 1, 2010

May Day! May Day!

The first day of May started out blustery here in north Idaho but ended up being a sunny day with blue skies. The temperatures were somewhere in the 50's. Can you believe there is snow in the forecast this week? Crazy!

Today was also National Scrapbook Day and probably the first in 10 years that I haven't spent the day scrapping with online friends. Pretty sad. The scrapping community that I was a part of closed the doors at the end of December and I just haven't made a big effort to find another place. Yes, I realize that I can scrapbook on my own but it just won't be the same. Sigh...

So tomorrow I will be giving this quilt;

to its new owner. She has no idea. You see it goes like this,
Out of the blue, on April 6th Des sent me the directions for the quilt and I started immediately to work on it. I mean right then I figured out which fabric I had on hand that would work and I set to work.

When my hubby comes into my sewing room he almost always asks what I’m working on and who it is for since sometimes I am making gifts and sometimes it is for one of the kids or maybe someone has asked me to sew something for them. I had NO IDEA who this quilt would be for, but I wanted an answer for when hubby asked. So I thought while I sewed and then it came to me, I would give this quilt to the lady in our church that was having her birthday next. I had no clue who that might be. I told myself to look it up in the directory when I went upstairs. Well I went upstairs a few times and came back down to my sewing room and would be frustrated because I forgot to look. Same thing the next day, I would totally forget to look (my mind is going, I tell ya!). So fast forward to the next night, a Wednesday and we are off to Bible study. I hadn’t been to church on Easter (sick) and so I picked up a bulletin at the back of the church and carried it up to my seat. When I opened it up I saw the list of birthdays for the week. I was surprised at the name I saw. God had orchestrated the entire thing of course. If the instructions had been given to me months ago or even the next week this all would have played out differently, but God knew. I even thought for just a fraction of a second to give it to someone else. I hadn't told hubby yet of my plan so who would know? Oh yeah, God would know and I would know too. You see, the lady this was going to, well we have a past and it is a rocky one and things aren't all that smooth now. Oh, we are pleasant with one another but nothing more than necessary. So on the way home from Bible study I told hubby. He got the biggest kick out of it all. He thought it was GREAT! He was excited for this quilt to be finished and given away. I have never had hubby and my son so interested in when a quilt would be done!

Once I knew who the quilt was for, I prayed for her while I sewed. I prayed for her relationship with God, I prayed for her marriage, I prayed for her role as a wife and mother and I thanked God for her. Yes, I even talked to Him about my own attitude and part in this relationship. I actually wrote up most of this story to give to her with the quilt. I am going to give the package to her husband to put in the car and have him give it to her when they get home.

I wonder what God has planned next for me! I sure hope it involves fabric. ;)

Praise - for such an AWESOME God! That He orchestrates even the little things in my life to glorify Himself.

Prayers - I pray that I would not have the teeniest hesitation to be obedient to Him and that I would trust His timing and perfect will.

21 comments:

  1. So thoughtful, my dear friend. How we can trust in Jesus. I bet your "friend" will love and cherish the quilt you made and gave to her. I make a lot of log cabin quilts and give them to needy people a lot. God does a lot in our lives, and is certainly there in yours. Amen to your prayer.
    quiltingcanbefun Happy Quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so exciting! I never cease to be amazed at the way God works in our lives, and I'm really looking forward to reading about how this lady receives her beautiful gift of love from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post; isn't this just like God to direct you in this way. And good for you to be willing to be used by Him! I'm sure you are making our Father smile, and isn't that worth everything. God bless you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who needs a "Day Planner" when we have God orchestrating our lives! I hold to your prayer request for my life also!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very inspiring, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. God is so awesome. Thank you for sharing this with us. I love hearing about how God works this to his glory no matter how we try to avoid doing something. Please let us know the outcome of your gift giving. Take care and God bless, Cory

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is the most touching story I have heard in a very long time.
    How amazing is GOD?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't you love when we are obedient to God's will even when we think it is unreasonable? You were probably as blessed by making this quilt and praying for her as she will be receiving it. Maybe God was telling you to lay aside any old feelings and by sewing and giving her this quilt you are washing her feet. May God give you a stronger and renewed relationship with this woman. Youa re a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was an amazing post. I'm so glad i read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a wonderful story! Good for you for being so obedient - like you said, nobody would know, but God would. That thought has kept me in line too, lol! Your prayer is mine as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing story. Thank you for sharing that. I love to see your obedience to God even when it's not easy. What a blessing to see in a world where people turn their backs on Him so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The quilt is fantastic. I love it. And the story is wonderful. I think if we relied more on the Lord and the Holy Ghost for inspiration we would all live lives with more purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cheryl, That is so sweet and true. God brings healing and love. I so needed to hear your story. Sometimes we are in that situation and we don't mean to be. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's lovely CJ - I'm sure your friend will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just happened onto your blog from another as I was looking over quilting ideas...what an Awesome God indeed!!! Your post blessed me so much. I will be thanking our dear Lord for leading me your direction today. May God Bless. I'm also sending a hug your way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful quilt. Very representative of May and all that this spring month entails. Amazing creativity!

    www.aqsquiltnews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a great story! I love it when God works like that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. amazing story, and what are the odds it would have been someone you have a rocky relationship with. But I think it's AWESOME you didn't decide to sway from what you had decided.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful story.Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHTS FROM FRIENDS