Thursday, February 26, 2009

Before the month of LOVE is gone

I thought I'd better get these Valentine photos blogged. LOTS OF PICTURES DES!!! :D Des likes lots of pictures.

So I had two families of 5 (our very dear friends) coming to visit for Valentine's weekend (also known as President's Weekend) and my college girl was hitching a ride home with one of the families! Now I always make frosted sugar cookies for Vday for my family, and it is the one time that I don't let the kids help me with the process. It is my Valentine to them. I usually wait until they are in bed to bake and decorate the cookies. Side note - This gets harder to do as they get older and stay up later. Some of the guests were to arrive on Thursday. I needed to get my act in gear since everything had to be done and put out of sight before they arrived.
* * *
This is what I made. A LOT of cookies. More than I usually make. The cutting out and baking is the easy part. I also made a big batch of cake balls on a stick and got those in the freezer.

Oh yeah....did I mention that I was trying to make the Happy Zombie's Pennie Pockets for everyone? Yeah, call me crazy. These are 'supposed' to be embellished and bejeweled. I tried to make a yo-yo and it was more like OY-OY! I knew that was going to be TOO time consuming and I should have started in October. I gave up that dream and just got them all sewn up. I had a few different prints but the other picture did not turn out. I filled these with foil wrapped candies and conversation hearts and hung them on each chair.

I got a reprieve.
The guests that were to arrive on Thursday had a change of plans and would not arrive until Friday. Whew! More time to frost the cookies. (should read - more time to procrastinate on the frosting of the cookies). My plan all along was to use decorating tips and frost each name on a cookie. That did NOT happen. Each person did get a LARGE cookie on a doily, on a plate at their place for breakfast.
* * *
Now if I had started back in AUGUST, I could have made a cute table runner, but I did not. I used my new, clearanced after Christmas at WM, RED place mats and called it good.
I needed two tables so I called this one the kid's table, although there were kids at the 'red' table as well. I see I should have ironed that tablecloth!

Now mind you, ALL of this was set up and set out AFTER my guests had all arrived (some at 11:30pm) and they had all gone to bed! Oh yeah, that was at about 1:30 A.M.! I was going back and forth as quietly as I could, dining room to the garage, as I had the cookies in a big tin in the garage, the cake balls in an ice chest in the garage and the pennie pockets in a box in my closet. I put window cling hearts on the dining room windows too.
* * *
Here is a close-up of the cake ball bouquets. I wish I would have had some shredded, crinkled red paper to fill in at the base of these, but I didn't.
Edited to add link to cake ball recipe/directions. Hey, if you get lost on this site, don't blame ME!
Bakerella is so creative and talented. Go see for yourself.

As I slipped into bed about 2:30 (after I took pictures!), I prayed that neither guest family would let their dog out of their room during the night. That would have made me cry.
* * *
Everyone was so surprised in the morning that the Valentine fairy had visited during the night. I got lots of hugs and kisses and requests for yearly Valentine Day visits. :D
* * *
Prayers - for a friend's mother who is not doing well at all. The family has been gathered around her and are wondering how long they have with her.
Praise - College girl has made it through an especially stresssful week and has registered for the new quarter, getting all the classes that she NEEDS. My son is doing well in school, staying on top of things. Hubby is enjoying his new adventure.



7 comments:

  1. Everything is very cute! Bless you for your hard work. Would love to see the recipe for the cake balls sometime. And did you get your bag for February made? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CJ!! About the frilly dilly bag:
    There is ONE seam, on the back, and yes the ruffles goes all around the front and the back.
    I myself don't use the original pattern, too expensive lol. But made my own version and also has one backseam. It is easy, just make the ruffles twice (or longer if needed) the size of the bag, ruffle and stitch to the bag. When ready make the lining the same as the bag without the ruffles ofcourse .Assemble the bag as you would any other bag and hey presto one cute frilly dilly!!

    BTW Love your blog, will read it more often, lol

    Hugs from Marian-aka dutchy on MJF

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very sweet are you? I think I may have a new family tradition. Only with much less people! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a darling idea! To truly celebrate "valentine's day - EVERYDAY" is such a goal of mine. I love this idea - and you're so creative, I feel loved just looking at the pictures - can only imagine what your family & friends are feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaahhhh, you've done me proud! Love the pictures. Especially the cake balls. I haven't been brave enough to try them yet.

    Such a fun tradition. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE all the pics!!!! I already got lost in the Bakerella site and put it in my favs the other night. I was LOL that you were hoping guests would not leave dog outta their room. OH MY, would that have been quite ummmmm interesting. I can't believe everything you did, but in the end it is so worth it to see guests happy and a smile on their faces. So no one said they had heard you making trips back and forth and wondered what in the world you were doing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much hard work... but the results were definitely worth it! Beautiful! Love your bags and approns too. Keep up the hard work!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHTS FROM FRIENDS