Friday, February 6, 2009

January Challenge - Completed

So my calendar says it is the 6th of February and I am finally getting around to showing you my finished January Challenge. If you don't remember, this is what I chose for January;

The pattern is by Tanya Whelan of Grand Revival Designs. What was the hold up for me on this? The handsewing! I do not like handsewing. That is saying it nicely. Had I read the pattern more thoroughly I would have chosen the view shown bottom left - no handsewing required. I chose the main photo and bottom right. Hand sewing required. Argh.

Here is the completed AVA Bag, done up with Timeless Treasures Taxi fabric on the outside and a stash fabric of yellow with black dots. The other Timeless Treasures Taxi fabric that I wanted for the reverse side of the purse was sold out at the local fabric store and it is hard to find online.

The purse is intended to be reversible. I don't know that I would reverse this particular purse. The fabric is not very forgiving when showing my stitching, done in black thread, along the handles. The OTHER Timeless Treasures Taxi fabric would have been better for hiding any imperfections.
The thing about a reversible bag though - I can never decide which fabric I would want on the outside and then I think the inside usually gets dirty from ink and lipstick and so on, would I even want to reverse it?
My review of the pattern - Well the hand stitching aside because the next time I would probably choose the other view, this was a fairly easy pattern to follow. The way the handles and center/top purse trim are done (on the view I made) is different from anything I have done on a purse before. The directions were clear though. I did try to jump ahead of the game at one point and had to cut out new facing pieces because I trimmed them incorrectly. If I had just followed the directions as written I would have saved myself some time and fabric. Sewing the handles on, through all layers was a teeny bit frustrating, not knowing if I was catching the other side and wondering how it was going to look. Like I said, the fabric pattern choice is not very forgiving on that side. It isn't HORRIBLE, but it does not look as nice as the front side does. The hand stitching needs to be done FOUR times on this view!! At the side seams, inside and out, to join the handle/trims. I would make this purse again. I would make the other view first and then when making this view again I would give more thought to my fabric choices. Good job, Tanya! Thanks for the cute purse pattern!
Finished size - 12" to the top of the handles x 11.5" wide.
* * *
P.S. I have NO idea what I am going to do with this purse. I never ever wear yellow. I just love that fabric though. I was hoping to have it done for Super Bowl Sunday and show off my Steelers colors. That is a BIG joke because I dislike football and all things football-y. :D
* * *
Prayers - Continuing to pray for College Girl. She is burning the candles at both ends to get some projects done. She is never one to let one thing slide to get another thing done. I pray she stays healthy through all of this. Praise - it is SNOWING again today!!! It started sometime during the night and it is still snowing at 11 a.m.

8 comments:

  1. You could always have a giveaway for that purse! My daughters would love it! Esp the 17 yr old who loves yellow and other very bright colors...so unlike her mama! I really want to try a purse pattern...I bought a few already but am a bit nervous I guess about picking the right fabs etc....and interfacings! There are so many I never know what is what! I too like when it snows, but then again I don't have to shovel the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I love it. That taxi fabric makes a great bag. Use it to bring project on the road - books etc. I'd say hand stitching but clearly you like that as much as I like fish! ;-). I do like hand stitching. I didn't used to but I do now. After taking a few classes on applique and hand stitching techniques I've grown to love it. This is a great bag. I wish it was mine. I have this pattern. Thanks for the heads up on the quirks of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, CJ. I love it!! That is very cool fabric. Good review. I think you should continue to challenge yourself with MORE hand sewing!!! Maybe even make a t-shirt: I *heart* Hand Sewing. I can see you wearing it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is a LOVELY purse!!!!

    Hang in there to college student, can remember long hours and hard work, but it's all part of the college life!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bag is adorable, and I'll bet you can't see the hand stitching from a galloping horse! I've wanted to get this pattern since your posting of a project a month, and now I'm even more determined to make one. Pat yourself on the back for this one; I think it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did an amazing job on a difficult pattern-I would birthday gift it this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love your bag! This is my other love. We do have a lot in common. My other favorite color is RED too!! Red just didn't fit in with my quilt. Maybe my next one...thanks for the comments on my blog. Stop by anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a fabulous fabric - and to see it on a bag - makes it even more fabulous!!! Wow! I am new to the sewing world - am such a lover of fabrics and purses, and KNOW that my path leads to making bags. I am a new fan (huge!) of your blog, and will hopefully learn LOTS from you!

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHTS FROM FRIENDS