About two weeks ago I got fitted with new contact lenses. Multifocal lenses. I was so excited about them because they were going to do away with my need for reading glasses while I work, read, sew. Or so the doctor and I thought. I still needed reading glasses. I wasn't going to pay the big bucks for the contacts if I still had to wear reading glasses so I was resigned to go back to the lenses I was wearing before. Today was my appointment for the follow-up visit. Since I had to go to town anyway I met hubby for lunch at the Thai restaurant in town. Mmmmmmmm. I had enough time between lunch and the eye appointment to run to the little craft store and try to find some FABRIC for a quilt binding. Mission accomplished and off to the eye doctor.
Well the doctor was pretty disappointed that the lenses were not going to work for me and asked what I wanted to do. I said wellllllllll, what are my options?? She asked if I would like to try a different combination and I figured I had nothing to lose. She brought in another pair of lenses and after having me put them in she asked me to read the eye chart. Eye chart?? I could barely make out the wall! Not an improvement, to say the least. Then she decided on a different direction, change the prescription in the left multi focal lens and go with a stronger single vision lens in my right eye that takes my astigmatism into account. WOWEEEE! I could practically read the copyright information on the bottom of the eye chart! I couldn't wait to get home and try them out while working and reading and sewing. So far so good but I need some time to give them a good workout.
That is not even the cool thing my post title is referring to! I stopped at the library to get a book that was on hold for me and I decided to look for some books on CD. We have a car trip coming up and I would also like to try listening to some books while I work. The library has all of the audio books in one area and some are on cassette and some are on disc. Then I noticed some other titles in cases that weren't sized for cassettes or discs. There was a sign on the shelf that said only four of these selections could be checked out at one time. Huh. What is that all about?
I searched through the titles and found one I was familiar with;

and I opened it up;

It is called a Playaway. You put a AAA battery in it and plug in your headphones. Controls for Play,Pause,Volume,Search;

It fits in my pocket;

Is that the coolest thing or what??? Now maybe this is old news to those of you that live in the big city but here in Podunk this was NEWS!! When I got home I listened to five chapters while I worked. While I worked without my reading glasses.
I can read the serial number on the bottom of my camera and the directions on the back of my calculator and the ingredients on a package of food. I've been looking for little things to read. Little things to read without the aid of my reading glasses. I can hardly wait to sew something tomorrow!
Praise - that God would give people the knowledge to come up with glasses and contact lenses and they aren't one size fits all!
Prayers - for a little boy at our church that has health issues that the doctors have not been able to pinpoint yet. That his parents would continue to lean on Him. That the little boy would be able to keep food down and regain some strength.

So cool that you can see now! I listened to the Bible again today while I worked. Made it to Genesis 37 :)
ReplyDeleteWhat fabric did you buy?
I've been thinking about contacts, too; but because I wear bifocals, I didn't think it was possible. Thanks for sharing this information!
ReplyDeleteWow, I sure have not heard about the Playaway, and I check out books on tape all the time at our library! Hope the contacts work out great for you.
ReplyDeleteOhhhhh, I am so glad for you. I had to wear readers with the contacts I tried so I gave up! I would love to lose my glasses! I have never seen the reader like that either0-very cool!
ReplyDeleteThe good news on your glasses is a joy to hear. I had beyond perfect vision until 45, now I can't do much of anything without them. I'm glad for the improvement for you. Wouldn't we hate to lose our eyesight?
ReplyDeleteWow! The player thing is awesome! I'm really glad about your contacts, I hope they continue to work out well!
ReplyDeleteCollege Girl
I am so jealous of your contacts, lol, I want to try those! Maybe someday. I'm so sick of wearing bifocals, and reading glasses with my contacts, and STILL not being able to see properly.
ReplyDeleteI havent' tried the playaway's yet, I've seen them at the library, but haven't found anything in them I want to read. I LOVE audio books. They're perfect for sewing!
Praising and praying!
Ahhhhhhhh......what a blessing to get the contacts right. No more having to have a pair of glasses in every room, and every basketed project !
ReplyDeleteThe PlayWay is a new one on me....I live in South PODUNK ! Ha !
Hey you luckey, you won at Pleasant Home! You'll have to let us know what you received! Question: I love your tree/card you made, but can't find the post where you talk about it. I did look at the tut. at mmcrafts, but just wanted to see more of yours? Thanks.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog, and for the encouragement.
ReplyDeleteI am heading for my first pair of glasses...bi-focals! Oddly, I'm looking forward to it, mostly so that I will be able to SEE.
What a cool way to listen to a book...never seen that either. We learn something new everyday, don't we?
Hope you are okay...I noticed you haven't posted for a while!
ReplyDeleteHi CJ,
ReplyDeleteI took a long break from blog reading, and when I came to catch up on yours I was inspired by your work over the last several months! You made so many beautiful things, and your prolific sewing has made me want to get out of my non-craft funk and get back to it all! Thanks for the great kick in the pants (no matter how inadvertently!) - Robyn
Congrats on seeing again! :-P I felt that way when I finally realized I needed glasses!
ReplyDeletemiss reading your posts, hope all is well :o)
ReplyDelete