Here are some pictures of the progress - bad photo taken when all the stippling was finished;

The binding sewn on - another first for me (so much in one week!). I printed out and used Heather Bailey's tutorial for sewing the binding on. Thanks Heather!

the binding all sewn on by hand now and you didn't even hear any whining about that beforehand! No one was home to help me get a better picture though;

The quilt has been washed and dried now and it is all crinkly and wrinkly now. Mmmmmm. I will get a picture taken of it tomorrow. By the time it was out of the dryer I would have had to use flash and I don't think that would have been the best lighting. I'm REALLY happy with it though. I did NOT make a label. Bad me. I thought about it but I really just wanted to be done. So I can regret that after I hand it over to baby Jack on Friday.
Now a question for you. I am considering a clear acrylic extension table for my sewing machine because when working on this small quilt I really put a lot of pressure on the plastic table shown on my machine. It just isn't very strong and I really don't think it is going to last. While talking to my hubby about the acrylic table it came up that maybe dropping the machine down into my existing table might be the way to go. Hubby has a friend with the right tool to use and some expertise in this area so he could help or advise. I looked around online at sewing cabinets and they don't seem to fit tightly around the machine like the acrylic table does but would that matter? I am thinking it would not be an issue but am I missing something??? Give me some feedback here! The sooner the better :D If hubby is going to do this I would love for him to do it before I start quilting the Red Barn Quiltalong quilt.

Praise - College girl is DONE with her first year of college!! WOO HOO!!!
Prayers - that college girl would get a good night's sleep and feel better tomorrow and that she would have no problems packing up all of her stuff. For the kids in our Truth Project group, that each of them would continuously strive to honor Him with their lives.

That quilt is awesome...love it...
ReplyDeleteSeveral in my quilt group have the extensions, and they seem to love them. The quilt is lovely! Isn't stippling fun?
ReplyDeleteThe quilt is beautiful! I love the colors.
ReplyDeleteit will be SOOOO worth it to modify your table to drop your machine down so it's level with the surface. it's less stress on the quilt and, more importantly, on your shoulders, while you're quilting. i had saved up for a while, then had a local carpenter make me a table from MDF. the table top is snug around the edges of my machine. and he kept the part that was cut out, gave it feet, and when i remove the machine (which i do when i baste quilts) i just slide the cut-out part with feet right in for a "solid" table top that i can baste right over. good luck!
ReplyDeleteOh, CJ! Your baby quilt is lovely! Great job! It is sure to warm little Jack's heart. Don't know on the machine/table question, but it sure sounds like it would be nice to have your machine level with your table! Glad you have a handy Hubby to do that for you!
ReplyDeleteThe quilt is superb-and I did notice no whining! Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteYou will want to have the set in table if you want to do this often-the acrylic table does catch on the sides of the quilt-better than naught but if you have someone who can do it set in-it is much better!
CJ, The baby quilt is beautiful. You did a great job on it. My Hubs made a new leaf for my dining room table with a hole for my machine. It works great and reduces quilt drag which puts strain on your shoulders. There is a gap between the machine arm and the table top but I don't notice it when quilting. If you are worried about it, your hubs friend should be able to cut a small piece of wood to fill in the gap. I do like Janice's filler piece so she has a table top without the hole. There are times that would come in handy. Hope all of our advice helps you make a decision. Take care and God bless, Cory
ReplyDeleteThe baby pinwheel you did is absolutely gorgeous. I've been thinking of doing it to ever since I first saw it on the moda bakeshop. Now I really, really want to do it after seeing yours.
ReplyDeleteoh that quilt is simply scrumptious!!! really!! darling! lucky baby.
ReplyDeletei have a large acrylic table with my machine and i love and adore it. BUT if i had a hubby with some expertise, I would let him just go to town and fix me up something fabulous!! was that the question?
I think the quilt came out lovely and you finished it so quick!!!! I have no idea what advice to give on the table. HOORAY for first year of college complete! Way to go!!!!!!!!! I bet you can't wait to have her home for a few months!
ReplyDeleteWhat an adorable, sweet gift. He'll love it. Gee, I wish I had a place to permanently have my sewing machine...whining.... Have fun w/ your daughter.
ReplyDeleteYour pinwheel quilt is beautiful!Lucky baby!
ReplyDeleteRe: the machine and table ....I sewed with an acrylic extension that came with my machine for several years. It was ok for small quilts. But then, my DH worked some magic on my little sewing desk, making it wide enough to set the machine down in flush with the top. Greatest thing since sliced bread! If you have the option, I would really recommend the flush setting.
love, love, love the quilt
ReplyDeletehttp://randommusingsfrommypov.com
Go ahead and have the cutout made. My dh did it for me but I put the cutout too close to the edge of the table and hated it. Make sure you know exactly where you want it.
ReplyDeletecute quilt
Super super cute. I love white in baby quilts. It sets off the colors and shapes so well.
ReplyDeleteHi CJ
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog and for the good advice to just start doing the stippling. I checked out your blog and your quilts look great. (I checked out the stippling) The little triangles on the baby quilt are adorable. Great idea to list your quilts - I am going to do that - it will be a nice reminder to work away on them.
Gorgeous quilt and lovely blog - I found you over at the Flickr Quilt Along group - I am inspired!!!
ReplyDelete