
These won't necessarily be done in this order, just aiming to have them done by the end of July.
First up make the binding and apply it to the Old Red Barn Quilt Along Quilt.

This tote is going to be for a wonderful lady at our church who was so faithful to organize and lead the women's shelter that has now been closed. The print is by Blank Quilting and has some of the names of God on it. The colors are wonderful on this piece! The lining fabric is Moda Marbles,the pattern is by Tanya Whelan's Grand Revival (same tote pattern that I used for my sister's birthday tote). This project MUST be done by July 12th for the presentation.

Using my scraps from the Old Red Barn Quilt Along Quilt, some white cotton yardage that I found in my stash and some white Minkee that I bought for a project that it ended up not working out for, I am going to make my very first stacked coins quilt! I think it will just be a throw size and I would LOVE to give it to my hubby's nephew and his bride when they get married on the 18th of this month. DEADLINES! Of course it helps that my 'scraps' are already sewed together in strips of six! I'm pretty excited that I had everything on hand. I'm even thinking that I have some Warm & White stashed in my fabric closet too but it 'might' be Warm & Natural which will NOT work. If all I need is to get is some Warm & White that will be a pretty sweet deal.

I have never used Minkee on the back of a quilt before but I got advice from Rebecca at Our Busy Little Girls on how she did hers.You have GOT to go look at the quilt she made using the blues and greens of Ginger Blossom and the scalloped border and the Minkee back. CUTE! She said the spray adhesive would not hold the Minkee and that she did use LOTS of pins.
With that in mind I put QUILT BASTING PINS at the top of my shopping list and headed out this morning to get groceries for the weekend. I went to Wal-Mart and headed straight for the drastically reduced in size fabric department. I had already gotten one package of the pins there so I KNEW that they carried them. No pins. I could not find the pins. I saw very small curved quilting pins and wondered when Barbie and her friends started quilting. I asked one of my favorite Wal-Mart employees, the gal that runs the drastically reduced in size fabric department, where the pins might be. She said 'oh we had to get rid of those, we cleared them out'. WHAT!???? How insane is that? I joke with her all the time and asked where I could file a complaint. We lamented over the drastically reduced size of the fabric department yet again, wondered which big wig in Arkansas was deciding we didn't need regular sized curved quilting pins and then she was off to help some cheerleaders with a ribbon purchase. Phooey. I lingered. Then said Wal-Mart employee says 'oh let's look at this end cap' and lo and behold on a hook were about 10 packages of the pins!! Along with scissors and beads and some clear thread that some big wig in Arkansas decided we didn't need in north Idaho. I told said Wal-Mart employee that I loved her. :D She said she was just being a HERO today. I bought SIX packages of 40 pins. I'm pretty sure that will be enough. I hope so. I could get the other 4 packages next week if someone else doesn't need them beforehand.
I do have some other things I would love to make this month and since two of these items MUST be done by the 17th it is feasible that I could do something else. I will give it some thought and possibly post a couple more projects before the 7th. I'd better get busy!
Praise - that I am on the mend from the cold I came down with on Tuesday. I'm just fighting a ticklish cough.
Prayers - that the rest of my family would stay healthy this summer. They all have to leave the house everyday to work!

How fun!
ReplyDeleteLove your Quilt Along Quilt! It turned out great with those fabrics!
ReplyDeleteOur Walmart discontinued fabric and sewing notions. The fabric was fun for totes or pj's, and the notions were nice to pick up when I was in a pinch. Sounds like your Walmart is heading in the same direction.
ReplyDeleteI'm checking out the quilt club; thanks for the tip. Happy 4th!
Sounds like you will have fun and inspiration to make the deadlines with the new quilt club-nice works in progress, too.
ReplyDeleteI think all the WalMarts are reducing their fabric departments - its really too bad. Looks like you will have lots to do in the next little while - have fun!!!
ReplyDeletelove this idea. good luck with it. i will live vicarious through you AGAIN.
ReplyDeletewalmart. no comment.
I too am upset about the whole Walmart thing. I understand that as they remodel a Walmart fabric, notions and such are no more. It's supposed to be a store where you can find everything :-( So much for one stop shopping.
ReplyDeleteLove Love Love your quilt along quilt! Those fabrics are so bright and cheery! Thanks for stopping by and linking! -Allison
ReplyDeleteHi CJ! Welcome to the club. Just stopped by to cheer you on. We must finish! Oh and congratulations on your 100th postand blogiversary! Happy early Birthday too!
ReplyDelete