Monday, July 13, 2009

One project done!

I procrastinated as usual and didn't even start the tote until late morning on Saturday. WHY do I do this over and over?? I don't know either but it really irritates me. This was the tote to be given to the gal at church on Sunday. I wrapped it and it was presented to her in a basket along with other gifts and cards. I didn't get to see her open it


Mark one off of the list. The quilt that I was going to give to the newlyweds this coming weekend is on hold. Last Wednesday when I went to the BSR class, hubby went to JoAnn's for me to get Warm & White. I told him exactly where it was in the store, how much I needed and I gave him my coupon. They didn't have any. WHAT???!! How can that be? That is like the grocery store being out of bread and milk. Was there some quilting emergency that I didn't know about that would clear the shelves of Warm & White? When he came to pick me up from the BSR class he told me the sad news. I gritted my teeth and decided I would just buy some at full price in the quilt store where I was taking the class. They only had Warm & Natural. Okay then. Project on hold. I can still finish the top (and I am almost there) but then I can't sandwich it and quilt it until I can get some Warm & White. Hmph.

I had seen an article online about grilled pizza and I was intrigued by the idea. I did some searching, read various recipes and methods and decided to give it a try. I used my new 'normal' pizza dough recipe and after the rising I split the dough in half and made two pizzas because my normal sized pizza was NOT going to fit on the grill. I know this because I measured the grill ahead of time. Well then came the tough part of doing this all on my own because I do not even know how to start the gas grill. I am not a fan of open flames, bottles of propane and lighters. I had to ask for help. Well my son said he knew how to start it so he got it going and we let it heat up. Then I chickened out and decided to get my hubby involved. I called him to the deck and explained what we were going to do. He was less than thrilled. When he found out that we were not going to use a pan or stone he lost all interest. He wanted to see someone else do this first. He was sure the dough was just going to more or less drip through the grill and make a huge mess. I told him to be adventurous! Go with the flow. This just made him a little less excited to be a part of this. He was getting close to ruining the 'event' and the dinner. College girl stepped in at that point and gave him a little talking to. She will be the first to admit that she is normally the one to 'lose it' when facing the unknown so I guess she recognized the signs and took it upon herself to talk him down. Now maybe for you grilling pizza is no big deal and you are finding it hard to believe that this sort of drama was being played out. I know.

We proceeded. Hubby sprayed some Pam onto a paper towel and wiped down the grill and then I sort of tossed the dough onto the rack. It didn't land exactly like I wanted it to so some rearranging was in order. We let the top bubble up and hubby peeked at the underside a few times. When it was browned nicely but not burned he flipped it over and we worked quickly to cover it in pesto;

Then I arranged the chicken pieces and red onion;

Hubby sprinkled the cheese on top and then shut the lid. It really doesn't take very long and it is time to remove it from the grill. Hubby used a big spatula and moved it to the pizza stone so that he could cut it.


It was soooooo good!We all really liked it. The kids started eating this one right away while hubby and I got the second one cooking. Hubby did have to agree that this was a great way to cook pizza, especially when the house is hot. I was trying to talk him into the idea of barbecuing the pizza in the winter. I would be in the house of course cheering him on. ;)

Praise - to our God for His wonderful creation. We watched a magnificent lightning storm last night, accompanied by some very loud thunder. The storms always make me think of the many wonders of God's creation.

Prayers - for the young missionary family that spoke at our church on Sunday. Their desire is to be God's servants in any way He sees fit in a very foreign land.

8 comments:

  1. I still don't understand why the dough didn't fall through the cracks! Maybe I'll give this a try sometime. The tote turned out really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed at the different roles each of you played over the pizza-isn't family great. I love the grilling idea and will have the same resistance with my hubby but will try it anyway! He will love it in the end! Beautiful tote btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute tote! And as far as the pizza scene goes. I would be the one worrying about the huge mess because I'm usually the one who has to clean it up! I'll have to tell hubby about this though. We got a toaster/brick oven thing for Christmas and he makes great pizza! Do you want me to send you some warm and white? Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have wanted to grill pizza for like...............FOREVER. You will now be my inspiration!!! I am the one who HAS watched and read every article on it and just hasn't taken the big leap. glad you did. This also reminded me that i have pictures from some cedar plank grilled salmon I need to post about. maybe some day i'll have a grilled pizza post!! Thanks CJ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cute tote. Does your JoAnn's seem to have less merchandise lately? I have noticed it in our big ETC store. Shelves are vanishing, and there's lots less in the cotton fabric section.

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad i'm not the only one who has those moments :) can't wait till we eat bbq pizza again

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the shape of the tote bag! Is this a published pattern, and if so, would you share the name, designer, etc.? This would make a great book bag for my granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tote looks great! I have never heard of grilled pizza!It looks great maybe I'll do some reading and give it a whirl!

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHTS FROM FRIENDS