Saturday, March 6, 2010

A Pressing matter

I finally got around to covering and using this so I thought I would show you. I guess it was about a year ago that I was in a JoAnn's fabric in a town in the middle of nowhere. My hubby and son were waiting in the car while I shopped but then my son came in to look for some foam. When he found me I was standing and looking at a sleeve ironing board and clutching my 40% off coupon. He asked me what I wanted that for and I explained that so many times, when sewing purses or other smaller items the full size board doesn't work. He looked over the sleeve board and declared that he could make one of those for me. SWEET! I could use the 40% off coupon for something else! He borrowed a measuring tape from the store cutting table and took measurements and wrote them down. Not long after we got home he went to work and made the board for me. Then it sat. For a very long time. He even brought the staple gun in from the shop so that I could cover it with fabric. I got some Insul-Bright to cover it with and there it sat. Well for some reason, TODAY was the day to cover the board and properly use it (I had used it a few times without any sort of cover on it).



I covered it with some chambray fabric I had on hand. I know so many of you cover your boards with a designer print but I just can't bring myself to 'waste' that much pretty fabric on something like a board cover. I got it covered AND I even used it today!! I can't wait to show my son.

This is what I was using the board for;


Two different views because the lighting was different and I think the pleats showed up better in one.

A purse for ME! It is the first purse that I have made for myself (which is kind of pathetic if you knew how many purses I have made). Fabrics - VERNA by Kate Spain for Moda. Pattern - The Chemisette Handbag by Craft Apple. Liked the pattern,instructions were straightforward. I did think the bag was going to be bigger from the photo on the pattern cover but I actually prefer the size it is to what I thought it would be. I would move the magnetic clasp down a bit next time so that I could top stitch along the front and back edges (tried twice and un-stitched it and gave up) and I would probably make the handles a bit longer. This is my first finish for March. WOO HOO!!

Praise - for a little baby girl that joined our church family last night, Lydia.

Prayers - for the family with the new baby, that mom would be feeling herself again soon and that they all make the adjustments needed to welcome the little bundle of pink into their family.

16 comments:

  1. Your boy is a doll for making you that board...glad you finally got it covered so you could put it to use....I WANT YOUR PURSE!!! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. SCORE~!~! Okay, he's a son worth doing laundry for!!! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a great board. And your purse is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always make such cute bags. Love your taste in fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely purse, terrific pressing board and a talented, thoughtful and priceless Son.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great son! I'm sure you'll think of hime whenever you use that board for one of your beautiful bags.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! what a great son! the purse is so cute! i can't believe you haven't made one for youself until now!
    college girl <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. PERFECT sleeve board! Love your purse too, doesn't it feel good to make one for you? Praying and praising!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an adorable handbag!! Love love it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The bag is so cute and sweet. Love the pleats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WhooHoo is right! That bag is adorable! I also like the mini ironing board. I have the Tailor's Ham that I received as a Christmas gift when I was a senior in high school that I still use!

    ReplyDelete
  13. And awesome, awesome purse !!!

    Awesome, awesome sleeve board!!!
    Awesome, awesome SON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cool that he was able to make that and you saved your coupon for something else, because hey we know how precious the coupons are! Although I'm sure I'd be in your boat as well...not covering it until now. Always have grand plans and then don't get around to them till some time later. Very fun though.

    I can't believe it took you this long to make a purse for you!

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHTS FROM FRIENDS