Thursday, September 4, 2008

Well I HAVE been productive

But I just wasn't bloggin' about it. Seems like this week has flown by. WOOOSH and it is Thursday night. If you keep track of my projects, listed over there -----> on the right, you might notice that I moved a SOMEDAY up to the QUILTS TO DO list! I ordered the layer cake, yardage and pattern to make this:



I have loved this quilt since seeing it in a QUILT MARKET photo in the Thimble Blossoms booth. I've been waiting and waiting for the fabric to hit the stores. Well my package arrived on Saturday but I didn't get a chance to open it until sometime Monday. I have got to say this is the quickest a quilt has gone from obtaining the fabric to having the quilt blocks sewn. I wanted it to be exactly like the photo but I did end up making some changes. The first one was by accident (but I'm not telling) and the second one was to give a different variety to the fabrics used. I mixed it up just a bit. I didn't even start to cut the layer cake blocks until after 4pm on Tuesday and I am sure I had to stop to make dinner, but it is all a blur now. I got right back to the quilt and sewed away. I decided I was not going to bed until the blocks were all together and that was before midnight. My plan was to iron all of the blocks last night and then trim them to the uniform size. Is that what happened??? Noooooooooo.

I had been watching this blog for her Christmas gifts tutorials to appear and yup, there was the first installment and it was a doozey! Something cute and easy and fun! The checkbook cover! The selvedge one is ADORABLE! That Amandajean is so creative :D You have got to check it out. She added a new tutorial today for little storage basket/bins. I wrote down the directions and headed upstairs. Sheesh I spend so much time trying to decide which fabric scraps go with which other fabric scraps. Go ahead, roll yer eyes. I will wait. I really wanted to use Cotton Blossoms but I haven't cut my borders or binding yet so I didn't want to chance not having enough of that. Dig, dig, dig. Turns out then I had TOO many choices. Finally I went with some Metro Blue and went to work. It went together so nicely and quickly. Everyone had gone to bed so I had no one to show it off to. I proceeded to cut out fabric for 3 more! If you make any of these, let me know!

Then I ironed all of my Piece of Cake blocks. They look so pretty! I also cut out the fabric for the tote featured on the cover of the fall issue of Quilts and More. A gal that works at the LQS had made a few and was telling me how easily they went together. The reason I haven't sewn it already is this, we have been house hunting! Hubby decided we needed to get serious about downsizing sooner rather than later.

Sorry no pictures of my projects yet. Hubby was out hunting and he took the camera with him. I will try to take pictures tomorrow and get them posted. If the blocks are not sewn together by then I will take a picture as I lay them out and decide on their placement. I am thinking very seriously of getting a layer cake in the other colorway from this line. The brown with reds - mmmmmmmmmmmm. I am thinking I might give the one I am working on now as a wedding gift. I am thinking that I would keep the other one for myself. :D

Prayers for wisdom in the hunt for a new house. It is so emotional and exciting. Prayers for our pastor and his wife as they travel to Wyoming to visit family. We miss them so much when they are gone (and she is my gym buddy). Be well!

5 comments:

  1. what a busy one you are. the thimble blossom quilt is lovely. & i await your pics. i have my eye on a quilt in that magazine. but it will have to get in line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great pattern, I will have to search for it. AmandaJean is so talented and I love her tutorials. I would like to invite you to participate in a fall quilters blog giveaway I am hosting. Please stop by my blog and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A new house, how exciting! I can't wait to see your pictures. Hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I want pictures darn it! Tell him you need the camera. Amanda is fabulous. You too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like its going to be a fun quilt :)

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHTS FROM FRIENDS