Maybe you've already heard and maybe you've already done something about it, if so - YEAH YOU!!! If not then read on. I came across a blog that talked about Iraqi Bundles of Love in passing. There was just a mention of the name so I did a BING search to see what it was all about. In a nutshell, a Major stationed in Iraq happens to be the husband of a quilter (also son of and brother of one too!) and his time in Iraq is coming to an end. He came up with Iraqi Bundles of Love as a way to leave something behind with the Iraqi people. Something that they can use, something that they might possibly need. Basically what you do - if in the USA you can get a USPS Flat Rate priority box from the post office, fill it with sewing, quilting or knitting supplies, bundle it up (he tells you just how to pack it!) and send it off. Since it is going to an APO address, if you are in the USA you only need to pay $11.95 for shipping no matter how heavy your box is. You can participate if you are not a resident of the USA, just check his site for more information. Here is a link to his intro page. Once there you will find links for a FAQ page, a BUILD A BUNDLE page, what to send and what not to send and other information. There are pictures of the first 6 bundles that they just received too! The boxes MUST be postmarked by Sept 7th to get there in time for distribution. To get the address either post a comment at his site or ask me for it in a comment here and I can pass it along via email (there was some reason that he doesn't just post the address but I don't remember what it was). There are Iraqi Bundles of Love blog buttons as well but I could not get either one of them to work.
Let me know if you are taking part in this. I have been going through my things tonight and have quite the collection so far - fabrics,trims,threads,scissors. I might have to get two boxes from the post office!
EDITED to ADD - I am going to challenge all the CHARMING GIRLS QUILT CLUB members to build a bundle and ship it off! I know you gals have some fabric lying around. ;)
Praise - That U.S. military personnel would take the time and make the effort to go above & beyond their required duties to help the people of Iraq.
Prayers - that the quilting/crafting online community will rally together to share their bounty with the people of Iraq and that these bundles would be sent & received with love.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

thanks CJ for talking about this. I will check it out. Very wonderful!!
ReplyDeleteThis is a wonderful idea. Kudos to you for spreading the word and finding items in your stash to send!! (we all know you got plenty of stash ;) )
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteAs a fellow Charming Girl and a member of the Daughters of the King national prayer organization, I'll do this too. Thanks for the information!
ReplyDelete