Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Olympics (and not a whole lot else)

That is about all that has been going on around here. My sewing room is a long way from the television. My family gathers to watch the Olympics. Together. We have even been recording them and are a couple of days behind. We are fast forwarding through commercials and replays and heats, and semifinals of sports we aren't crazy about. We still aren't caught up. I whined before that the network coverage of the games was biased (swimming and gymnastics and beach volleyball). Where were the equestrian events and sailing and boxing and weightlifting and such? Now I am so glad that all of the sports were not getting heavy network coverage. I would be watching recordings of Olympic games for MONTHS! My new sewing machine would feel neglected. My new fabrics would be out of sight and out of mind. The excitement of a new project would be lost. It was so exciting to watch Michael Phelps (and his mom) and the women's beach volleyball is growing on me. The gymnastics has been exciting and frustrating. I can only imagine how the contestants feel. I have been proud of the USA team members that I have witnessed. I love to watch them during the medal ceremonies. I get choked up even when they don't. I won't be sad when the games are over. I have things to do!

Prayers - for an online friend whose husband is being deployed this week. She will be a single parent to their four children for the next year. Prayers for his safety as well.

3 comments:

  1. I love fast forwarding through things. It has given me a whole new perspective on TV. I love the whole dvr thingie. I've had a lot of hand sewing lately so this has worked out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers to your friend. Being a single parent for any length of time is hard, but a year is a long time. I don't watch much tv as a rule, but I have been following some stuff online. Hats off to those athletes! How do you like your new machine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i absolutely love my dvr. i come home & watch what i have scheduled. & during commercials i look ahead for things i want to record. if i miss something because i got up to sew i can just rewind.

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHTS FROM FRIENDS