Friday, October 16, 2009

Fall Quilt Festival

Amy is hostessing a Fall Quilt Festival and there are now close to 600 blogs listed! That is going to take me some time to get through but I will be trying my best to do it over the next few months. I meant to join in earlier but I knew I had to dig the quilt out of my hope chest and take pictures so I put it off. Today I realized it is the final day! Here is the link to the post with all the blog links;




This is the first quilt that I ever made - an Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day Log Cabin, done in a class. This was back in the 80's sometime. The class met in an elementary gym/cafeteria so we had lots of room to spread out. I do have pictures of the quilts all laying on the floor as we decided on block placement but those pictures were taken with FILM and are tucked away in a box somewhere.


A close up of one of the blocks. The quilt was turned inside out and the opening hand stitched closed (I probably had my mother do that for me ;) )and then it was tied. It is really light weight. I believe I used some poly type batting that came on a roll.


I remember picking out the fabric, laying all the bolts on one another in the store, taking some out, finding others to put in. That is always a tough process for me so I really enjoy the complete coordinated lines that come out now AND the pre-cuts.


Praise - for the quilting community that I get to be a part of, online and in person. What a wonderful group of friends that are so generous with their encouragement and talents.

Prayers - for the brother of a missionary we know that is in a coma and the outlook does not look good. His name is Marty. Prayers for him and his family.

16 comments:

  1. That's beautiful!!!!!!! Wow, one day? Not even on my best day, lol.
    It's going to take me months to get through all the quilts in the festival too, but how fun!
    Praying for Marty...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the design layout and the colors are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi CJ, here's a link to my post:

    http://cottagegardenquilts.blogspot.com/2009/10/bloggers-quilt-festival.html

    I think we were making the same quilt at the same time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi CJ, here's a link to my post:

    http://cottagegardenquilts.blogspot.com/2009/10/bloggers-quilt-festival.html

    I think we were making the same quilt at the same time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a nice job picking those fabrics, so nice and restful for a bedroom, yet crisp !
    I remember those classes......I made one too......actually, maybe a couple or more.
    And my friends never wanted to be with me on a trip where I had to coordinate fabrics for a quilt. It took me FOREVER, adding and rejecting fabric bolts in a pile like you said !
    Fortunately, I make mostly scrap quilts, so they didn't have to endure that very often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is beautiful! I love log cabins and all the different designs you can make with them. I love your color choices, really relaxing. I also made a log cabin from Eleanor Burns pattern once and it was so easy and fun. I should probably make another one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very lovely quilt. I made the Quilt in a Day Log Cabin too, back in the 80's. I cut my quilting teeth on Eleanor's method. She rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is nice you still have it in such good condition-my first quilts were for the kids and they are well worn(loved!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a blast from the past...quilt in a day classes! My sis-in-law made that quilt also and it intrigued me and my flying geese quilt is somewhere in my mother's house still unfinished, heehee! your quilt is beautiful, I love the colors
    ~Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful!! I would love to have the patience to quilt ... instead I have half-finished projects. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilt is beautiful. I really like the log cabin pattern. I haven't made one yet but want to sometime.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely and fresh and feminine looking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the colors. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHTS FROM FRIENDS