Thursday, July 17, 2008

Houston - we have a Flimsy!

Of course it took me WAYYYYY longer to accomplish this, but what's new. I am excited about it. I don't think the pictures show off how pretty the colors really are. Taking the pictures is not easy either, is it?? My hubby took these, so he got an aerial view. He did need to use flash though since the light in the room was not the greatest.

Now I am wondering. How to go about quilting it. I don't have a fancy quilting machine. I have a sewing machine. I DID just get a darning foot in the mail today and I am thinking about ordering a walking foot. I am NOT going to use the darning foot on this quilt. I would like to practice with that first. A lot. Soooooo, opinions on using a walking foot on this as opposed to just the regular ol' foot on the machine.
What about opinions on how to go about quilting this. Stitch in the ditch? All the ditches? Stitch diagonally across the squares? Something else? Part of me says take it to be quilted (which I have never done) and part of me says I should quilt it myself. I want to send this off to school with my daughter in September so that is a factor.
Tonight's project - cut out fabric squares for a project I want to do with a little friend that will be visiting for a few days. She is 11 and has recently started sewing. I hope it goes well. I also need to get a grocery list made. I will be feeding 6 kids, Friday night to Wednesday morning. :0 (well some of the meals they will prepare themselves, but I need to get food for them!)
Prayers for my friend who will be driving here tomorrow (6 hours if you don't stop) with her kids and my kids.

6 comments:

  1. it's beautiful as I'm sure it is even more gorgeous in person. I remember stitching in the ditch and ICK, wasn't my favorite thing in class, just fyi.

    wish I could offer advice, but you know me, I know nothing of the sort. I just know you will do a great job!

    I will be thinking of your friend and kids who will be driving tomorrow! Have fun feeding all those kiddies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the colors are pretty & fun. a professional could do an overall design with random hearts. nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! I would probably quilt on the diagonal if hand quilting. Better get going on it. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a self taught quilter but I make rules for myself. I don't quilt anything myself if it is over a certain size. Smaller quilts are much easier to handle on a regular sewing machine. I know my limits. Then larger scrap quilts I will only pay so much to be quilted - so I take them to someone who has a computerized quilter and the pattern is edge to edge and doesn't break the bank. Quilts that are very special or I am making a pattern go to my artist quilter and I am willing to pay to have them done artistically. I feel good about those choices. I spent so much time practicing free motion before I quilted my first quilt. I started on paper and no thread and got a feel for the machine with my feed dogs dropped and the darning foot. Then I went to pot holders and made about 50. And then to my first quilt. I thought it was great. When I pull it out now I laugh. Its nice to see progress. But at some point you just have to dive in and do it. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Nanette pretty much covered it for us! Good job. I would weigh the value of the quilt to the amount of time/effort/expertise to how much you want to spend to have it done. I don't even know if that makes sense but it does in my world. So here are my options: 1)if you're going to do it yourself, I would stick to the walking foot and i think diagonal lines would work lovely. Although I agree with Nanette, I don't do anything this big either! 2) corrie mentioned hand quilting?? I haven't done that since the 90's. I really like the look of a little tie. You could do it in a nice sweet little white or soft pastel cotton crochet thread and tie on the corners. It wouldn't take away from the overall look and you could probably even do it on your kitchen table! maybe not.....:) I've done one on my kitchen table with minky on the back and it turned out fab. but it was only 54 x 68. Yours looks big. 3) Tell hubby you're now going to spend money on machine quilting. Find a good one and go for it!! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think just putting a cute daisy in the middle of the 4 patches. I never like stitching in the ditch because you can't appreciate all your hard work, it just fades away.

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHTS FROM FRIENDS