Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Getting older isn't SO bad

I mean it beats the alternative, right?? Just kidding. I have never had a problem with my birthdays and getting older. We always celebrate our birthdays and it is a great family time.


Today my hubby and kids showered me with presents and attention and food. My son gave me a cute card that he made (with a picture of me on my 3rd birthday) and a frame with the promise to make a collage of pictures of all the things I have made for him, to hang in my sewing room. My daughter gave me a college MOM window decal and a t-shirt along with a multi page card that she made with a list of things she loves about me. My hubby gave me a card - stop the presses right there. I have known this man for 36 years and he has given me maybe 10 cards (includes valentines, birthday and anniversary). It was a hilarious Hoops & YoYo card and in it he wrote that I could have the sewing machine of my choice - price was no object. I KNOW! He said he would have liked to give me a machine but really had NO IDEA what I would like.


He was all ready to head out to look at machines. Ummmm, that requires a one-two hour drive at least. The three of them would be bored to tears. He might renege on the deal when he saw the actual prices. Too risky. Instead we stayed home and did some research online.

ANY input at all is appreciated. My first inclination is the Bernina. Pros? Cons?




Hubby said he doesn't want me to put it off and end up not getting one. It would be fun to get it sooner rather than later!

My friends showered me with presents today too. I received a new cartridge for my Cricut -FUN! Some cabin-y placemats/napkins and potholders and towels. A reed diffuser - mmmmmm, lovely scent and some Bath & Body Works Lavender/vanilla sleep lotion and bath gel and candle. I received phone calls and emails as well.
This afternoon we went to see Journey to the Center of the Earth, but NOT in 3D (podunk town) and it was pretty good. It is always nice to see a movie that doesn't offend anyone in the family. Then we went to a very nice dinner out, overlooking the lake. The place has the BEST chocolate cake but we were all so full from dinner. Hmmmm, how about cake to go?? That was the ticket. Two pieces. The kids shared one and hubby and I shared the other. OY! I really do have to get back on the diet wagon. Tomorrow. REALLY!

On the sewing front...yesterday I was able to get the Warm & White for the quilt I am working on. I hope to get that to the quilters this week or next. I need to call them about the binding. They told me one width but the instructions on the pattern call for a different width. I am ready to start on a new project (ohhhhhhhhhh, or should I wait for a new machine???), but what it will be, I can't decide.

Praises - I thank God for every day that He has given me, for the family that He has allowed me to be a part of and for His saving grace. I thank Him for my brother's recovery from surgery and the adverse reaction to his meds.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a FANTASTIC birthday. And wow, a new sewing machine too. I have two Berninas (153 and 180) and love them. My recommendation to you is no matter which model decide on, get the BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator). My machines are older models so I can't attach one, but have used one and what a difference they make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheryl,
    What a fun day! You have a wonderful family. I'm jealous, I would love a sewing machine of my choice, but I'm happy with my little Janome. Good luck shopping. The aprons you've made are darling, I need to go look some more. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Money is no object, kind of thing. Since you've talked alot about machine quilting I would totally go with the Bernina w/ the stitch regulator. That's what I'd get. I'm a Janome girl but they haven't come out with a stitch regulator yet. If you want a janome, I love the Memory Craft Series. I think they have a quilters model. THEN, I would go to a local sewing machine dealer and test drive everything they have. Take good notes. Write it all down. THEN I would go to ebay and buy it much cheaper. :) That's what I did and 10 of my fellow quilters followed suit. If you're really into taking their "free" classes and their service....well, then you better buy from them. But those "free" classes sure jacked up the price of the machine. And I've had mine for over 5 years and have yet to need it serviced. Just my humble opinion. :) Happy B-day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOOHOOOO!!!! If you took your hubby with you to shop for the sewing machine, he would pick up one of those 9.99 ones that everyone had awhile back for stitching on LO's that worked like crap! LOL. He would say 'wouldn't this do honey?'. Better off going on your own....spending TIME looking at them (time that everyone else would be hovering over you tryin to get you outta the store and on to better things)...and then coming home and telling your dh what you chose and just asking him to lend you the debit while you go make the purchase...and let him see the price when the statement arrives. ;) By then you will have it all broke in and he will see how much you love it. heheheh. No going back now!

    Is the cake the same cake from last year? I remember you going there by boat last year and eating it and I even saw a picture of it. Can't believe you didn't get 3 pieces, one for me too. Sheesh. Fine. Be that way.

    We used a Bernina in my sewing class. Mind you, I know NOTHING like these other ladies, but it worked fine for me. I know they said you could only use Bernina bobbins or something like that? What do I know, I'm just some chick in MD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have had a fantastic birthday. lots of fun. yummy cake. & who wouldn't love a new machine. i've heard good things about Bernina. mine's a Viking. take your time & ask lots of questions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday...sounds like it was a good one for you! I have the Bernina 440QE and love it! I love love the stitch regulator!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful birthday!!! I recommend a Bernina. I have had several machines and I LOVE MY BERNINA. For the price that you pay they seem to through in a bunch of added things that cost more on other machines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday...
    Take advantage of that man and get yourself a nice Bernina!! I have one and love it.!
    Peggy in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw a link to your blog on Fredas hive-good name for a blog! Happy Birthday, I would suggest a machine and frame set-up so you can sew and quilt your work...the price for a short arm machine is not prohibitive (compared to long arm ones!) I have a Viking Mega Quilter and frame-Pfaff Grand Quilter is the same machine (companies merged)-check it out at your local dealer-

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are very blessed! What a nice day. How great is that!!!! A new Bernina is what I'd choose. I'm so so jealous. You've got a gem there. That man is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So where was that place by the lake that you ate at??? I'm curious, especially if chocolate cake is part of the place! I'm from a podunk town in Idaho and want to move back to a podunk town in Idaho! :)

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHTS FROM FRIENDS