Wednesday, April 21, 2010

4/21 So I'm a little biased

I just love striped binding on the bias. I learned to make my own bias binding from a lady in a LQS who gave me a printout and then proceeded to explain it me. She sent me on my way with her phone number in case I had any questions. Today I went looking for that printout and it wasn't where I thought it was. I was a little bit panicked. I knew I could probably find the information online but that printout has all these different calculations for different width bias tapes and how big your original square of fabric would need to be. Found the printout, breathed a sigh of relief and then set to work. This binding is for the Verna quilt and I hope to get it attached to the quilt tomorrow.
Fabric sewn in the tube and I have begun to cut the strips;

one continuous long bias strip;

all starched and ironed in half;

don't you just love freshly made bias binding all rolled up? Yeah, me too.

There is a pretty good tutorial for this method here. I didn't read all the details but the photos are good and might make the directions easy to follow.

Praise - for an opportunity to serve our church body this evening by priming the newly textured walls. I love when a group gets together to work on a project.

Prayers - for an online friend's young cousin who is undergoing radiation treatments for cancer. That she would deal with the treatments well and be cancer free soon.

7 comments:

  1. Do you think you could send me a copy of that sheet? I , too, had a sheet that gave the calculations for the different size bindings, the size square to cut and the amount of fabric needed. I have misplaced mine and have looked and looked for 6 months for it to no avail. I have not made any binding since i lost that sheet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bias tape turned out beautiful! And you used one of my FAVORITE prints too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your binding is so beautiful!!!! That's the way I make mine on the bias too. Easy-peasy. Praying and praising!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I agree I love striped bias just like you have made. It adds so much zip to the quilt. Love the freshman quilt you made for your college girl. I'll be back to see that striped bias on your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crisp and clean lines.....just perfect for a stripe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spent several hours the Sunday after the Tote Bag Party tryiing to make bias tape. After 3 seam removals, I got it right. Your directions with photos is MUCH better than the directions I got on line, with drawings. Looks sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh I love love striped binding. Reminds me of fruit stripe gum.

    ReplyDelete

THOUGHTS FROM FRIENDS